Super quick, super easy, and super tasty. Why not try our pheasant stroganoff? Perfect for a weeknight.
Ingredients (serves 3-4)
- 4 pheasant breasts
- 1 onion, 2 garlic cloves
- 150-200g chestnut button mushrooms
- 1 tsp hot paprika, 1 tsp sweet smoked paprika
- rapeseed oil and butter
- soured cream
- white wine vinegar, dry sherry (or white wine), brandy
- Chop the onion and finely chop the garlic. Chop the mushrooms into 1cm cubes, or thin slices – depending upon your preference. Dice the pheasant into
- Fry off the onions in a splash of oil until they are becoming translucent and nicely softened then add the mushrooms and garlic. After a couple of minutes add a knob of butter and the paprika, mix thoroughly, then add the pheasant breasts.
- Once the pheasant is almost cooked, add a few splashes of the vinegar, a slug of sherry, and a slug of brandy. This will deglaze the pan, bringing out all of the wonderful flavours.
- After about a minute, having allowed the alcohol to evaporate off, add a four or five tablespoons of soured cream (about half a normal tub – go with your instinct). Grind plenty of black pepper into the mix. (Half a teaspoon of dijon mustard is also a nice addition).
- Once the sauce has heated it’s ready to go, but give it an extra five minutes and the flavours will really come together. Serve with rice and a sprinkling of parsley if you have some to hand.